Who we are and how we began:
From the prodding of their God and a responsibility toward their faith a group of friends made a decision to take their hands and their hearts and make a difference in the world. They talked about how by helping the under-priveledged, training leaders and partners, and taking the necessary steps of faith, they could meet the challenge of the call that faced them. They identified with the verse from Isaiah 61:3, which says "So they will be called Oaks of Righteousness, the Planting of the Lord, that He may be Glorified." From those early conversations, Acorn to Oak, International was born. Today these friends are all actively engaged in working toward this cause.
Acorn to Oak, International exists, by nature of its name, to take small beginnings and grow them toward sustainable life, success and productivity. Every oak tree began as a single acorn. If placed in the right kind of soil, given the light and water that it needs, an acorn has what it needs to grow into what it was made for. It is amazing the potential an acorn has when it is placed in the right environment. It is our desire to create environments and programs that prepare people toward a productive and rewarding future. We believe in cultivating good soil for ultimate seed potential.
Acorn to Oak, International is a non-profit organization working with individuals, corporations and churches to bring love and hope to hurting children and families all around the world. We believe that whole societies can be transformed by creating healthy, safe and enriching environments that benefit and sustain the families living in these societies. We engage in livelihood development, sustainable entrepreneurship, sustainable tourism, and resolving issues centered around the food-energy-water nexus. We support orphan homes, feed children, plant churches, develop university international programs, assist refugee families and participate in campaigns that seek to bring an end to human trafficking.
The following is a list of the various areas where Acorn to Oak International is making a difference:
- We feed children at eight different locations in the Philippines.
- We support Orphans at a variety of locations.
- We partner with programs on university campuses that benefit and help us connect with international students. We believe that international college students are catalysts for change in their countries.
- We provide assistance to refugee families in the Tampa Bay area.
- We participate in campaigns that seek to bring an end to Human Trafficking.
We engage in livelihood opportunities through sustainable entrepreneurship and sustainable tourism
- We plant churches.
Our vision for the future involves a passion to:
- Help the developing world with issues related to water, energy and food
- Generate employment in places of economic insecurity around the world
- Develop adequate living conditions and a nurturing home life for orphans
- Provide leadership, structure and coaching to help churches grow and reach their communities.
- Plant 1000 churches around the world.
- Start innovative schools that provide education and help to children in areas where opportunities to receive an education are hindered by varying life circumstances.
- Create environments that provide healing, love, education, hope and homes to children who have been impacted by major life crisis, to include: war, human trafficking, genocide or ethnic cleansing.
The Directors of Acorn to Oak, International are Jerry John Comellas, Mark Ocepek, Michael Pili, Steve Strickland and Michael Denis.